What to do with my left hand?

- Discussions about the Ron Drotos KeyboardImprov.com - lessons, videos, etc.

- Let us know what things you have viewed or used, and your thoughts or suggestions.
Albert Hart
Site Admin

What to do with my left hand?

Post by Albert Hart »

I have received varying advice.

One teacher prefers that I play a single root base note while filling the chord or improvising with my right hand.

A piano player on a cruise ship suggested I use the left hand as my "drums" doing things to keep the beat.

This past week I decided to work on some ideas to incorporate for the new couple of months as I work towards the left hand styles which will work for me.

Coincidentally, Ron posted a link to get his free ebook: Jazz Piano Left Hand Techniques,
https://keyboardimprov.com/jazz-left-hand-techniques-ebook/,
with his World Piano Jam Video. I remembered that I had downloaded that before but had forgotten about it.

I found it and went through it again. Lesson 3 was pretty good for me. What I appreciated was that Ron included both multiple notes in the left hand, and some rhythmic ideas.

Have you tried this PDF?

And what do you suggest for some good left hand ideas to try out?

Also, have you found any of his lesson videos which would help with left hand ideas?

Lesson 3
lesson 3.png

rondrotos

Re: What to do with my left hand?

Post by rondrotos »

This is great stuff, Al!

The thing about the left hand is to try everything and see which "clicks" for you.

As for the teacher's advice, there are three types of advice piano teachers give:

1. "This worked for me so I want you to play like this too." (In my opinion, this is the kind of advice you want to avoid if it's the only thing the teacher is showing you. I myself have had a few teachers like this and I left them after a few lessons.)

2. This is how you'll eventually want to play. (This is good, and may or may not "get you there.")

3. I see your particular challenges at this stage, and I've devised a technique for you to learn. At this stage in your development, this will help you improve to the next level.

From my experience, the best approach is a combination of #2 and 3.

HermanBub

-

Post by HermanBub »

According to Roman belief, the right hand is the good hand while the left is the bad. They didnt allow people to step in/out of places left-foot first.

Maybe the RoP was on the left hand to idealise this. theory

An English-dubbed Dutch horror film about Sinterklaas being a serial killer.
Attachments
123.gif
123.gif (3.09 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Harrythawn

-

Post by Harrythawn »

Im glad they made it left handed. Im left handed. In every game I play, the person is always right handed, Im glad they choose something a bit different. But I dont think it really means anything, the true rune may just like to be on that hand.

Attachments
132.gif
132.gif (2.39 KiB) Viewed 221 times

Sidneycok

-

Post by Sidneycok »

There are 5 people that have expressed interest. I am taking them in order and the first person is asking questions.

Thank you for your interest.

Attachments
29.gif
29.gif (1.8 KiB) Viewed 218 times

wangmagnet

Re: What to do with my left hand?

Post by wangmagnet »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо